Everyone continued to read from their self-selected book this week and we discussed finding books that are "Just Right" for their reading level. Everyone should have a book to read at home every night.
In math, we practiced moving into groups to play math games and work with partners. We reviewed place value and rounding.
On Friday, I gave every student a gift.... their Writer's Notebook! (This might not have been as exciting for them as it was for me.) They will spend the year using their Writer's Notebook to "live like a writer." We decorated the covers so that each one is as unique and special as they are. Writing will be added to the students' homework assignments this week.
Our all-school assembly on Thursday introduced "NED" who practices a growth mindset. A growth mindset helps everyone develop their skills and perseverance so they can use their brains to their top capacity. Instead of "I can't do it," a student with a growth mindset says "I can't do it YET."
Curriculum Night is on Tuesday, Sept. 19, 6:30 – 7:30. Students are welcome, but not required, to attend. I look forward to meeting everyone!
Ask a Fourth Grader…
* What did Jimi Hendricks do to become such a great guitar player?
* What makes you a rock star?
* What is a "Just Right" book?
* What does "NED" stand for?
* What is your Writer's Notebook? How is it used differently than other writing you do in school?
* How does a map key or legend help you use a map?